Saturday, December 5, 2009

More on Christmas Decorations




One of our Christmas traditions involves this little cutie. For as long as I can remember, we always had an elf hiding among the branches of our Christmas tree. Unfortunately, the original (which I absconded from my parents decades ago) got lost in one of my many moves. Regardless, I was able to find one that bore a striking resemblance to the original. The kids are in charge of  "hiding" our wee friend each time we put up the tree. 


We have received many of our decorations from Mr. Sister's Aunts Mary and Irene. I anxiously await each Christmas to discover what treasure will be joining our home. There have been many hits, along with many misses, over the years. Sometimes, they don't remember what they have given before and we receive duplicates. This is fine by me as I save them with the intention of passing them on to the kids when they eventually grow up and leave home. This is one of the kids' favorite items.





It is an "ice skating" display, where magnets circle the town square causing the villagers to hustle and bustle about shopping and running their errands. It's a delightful display.  Another favorite is our Rock and Roll Santa who be-bops about singing Jingle Bell Rock! We love him dearly and turn him on several times during the season to get our quick fix of this Christmas classic!


 


I am having a wonderful time sharing our decorations with you, but alas, any more will have to wait. It is 6:00am and I need to get my rear in gear, out the door and on into work. (When all I really want to do is to go back to bed!) 


Have a terrific weekend!

14 comments:

the domestic mama said...

ooo! I love that little elf! What a cuuteeee! Thanks for sharing!

♥♥ tuğçe♥♥ said...

awhhhh sooooo cuteee((:
loves and hugs

Purple Flowers said...

Thanks for sharing some of your holiday decorations. I love the elf. That would be my favorite tradition - hiding him within the tree. :)

Willoughby said...

Your elf looks a lot like the elves we had on our tree when I was growing up (we had more than one). Is he attachd to a long wire that you bend around the branch?

I absolutely love the ice skating display! So cute!

Lissaloo said...

Your elf is adorable! I like the tradition that goes with him too :)

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I love the Ice Skating display. We used to have one little bit smaller and I don't know where it went.

MJ said...

I "heart" the elf idea and may have to run to the North Pole to find one that would like to be part of our home.

And that Ice Skating display brings back oh so many memories - I remember grandma having one and us kids would be facinated by it for hours on end!

Have a wondeful Saturday!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Thank you for sharing your decorations! It's so much more legal than waiting until your not an home and crawling in through the window. It saves us both a lot of embarrassment.

Heather of the EO said...

I absolutely love Christmas traditions!

I had this picture of an elf running away during a move in my mind when you said "it got lost in one of my moves."

I doubt that happened. But it could in a movie :)

Raoulysgirl said...

Thanks for sharing more beautiful decorations!

The singing Santa made me chuckle. We have quite a few musical decorations. Let me tell ya, they are a BLAST with a 3 yr old...especially when they are all going simultaneously. Let's just say, they are the first things packed up after Christmas each year!!! LOL!

Tracie said...

I love the skating rink. I know my kids would flip if we had one of those.

mommakin said...

I love that you're sharing these things with us! Makes me feel like I'm at your house for Christmas...

Weezer said...

Don't you just love having older ornaments that the kids look forward to seeing. After 31 years of marriage and family life, our tree is full of memories. I plan to share some of ours when we get to our tree and decorations. When our youngest daughter was born I promised her that I wouldn't do decorations until after her birthday. So next weekend it'll be.

Jenn Erickson said...

One of your elf's kindred lives at our house! His name is Cedric and he likes to show up in random locations all over the house. The girls think he's enchanted. Love that funky little elf face! Thank you for sharing your holiday cheer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails