Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Met the Pope: Dream Poetry

I met the pope aboard
a sailing ship from sea
docked along a busy street
in waters rough and deep

He greets me in his glory
his vestments gold and red
I kneeled, receiving blessing
and ate the sacred bread

When stepping off the vessel
tides rose then raged and roiled
The ocean on city boulevard
in turbulent state embroiled

I turn to run but stop
willing to be catechized
even though that hallowed yacht
has been broken; now capsized. 

I watch the boat as it sinks
survivors are but a few
the Pontiff is not one of them
just members of loyal crew

In spite of what just happened
I continue this life’s sojourn
I gather belongings slowly
allowing time to mourn

I decide to leave my baggage
as offering, paying homage
before I journey onward
grateful for release of bondage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This poem is based on a dream I had Sunday night (Easter). It is very personal, filled with symbols profound and deeply meaningful. I hope you enjoy and that possibly some of the metaphors will be relevant for you as well. 

17 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...plenty to decipher in this one polly...glad i dont dream of the pope...smiles.

your meter loosens a bit by the end,

Brian Miller said...

ah, nice the symbolism of the broken meter as freedom...

Unknown said...

Thank you Brian. I tweaked and twiddled with this particular prose as best I could. I, too, was concerned at first about the meter but then, as you put it, came to the realization that it perfectly represents the freedom from bondage of self will and fear that I am currently experiencing. It's a struggle, though, and not always easy. But one day at a time makes for good practice. In any case, I do appreciate your, as well as others, critique. How else am I going to improve? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Unknown said...

Oh, and I went ahead and did a little more minor tweaking...couldn't help myself. :o)

Liz Mays said...

Release from bondage would bring such peace.

I find it really cool that you were able to remember so much of your dream and turn it into this piece. :)

Nessa said...

This made me think of Winkin Blinkin and Nod. I know...I'm just pathetic.

Timoteo said...

The pope has canceled his audience with you.

anthonynorth said...

A great recollection and it reads so very well.

Unknown said...

A beautiful description of a dream state and in such a wonderful tempo. This had amazing imagery and wonderful flow. Very nice piece ~ Rose

the redhead said...

Especially like the final stanza, leaving your baggage as an offering. Nice.

River said...

Timoteo lol! A dream worth remembering and placed down with beautiful flow. :)
I love the name of your site.

signed...bkm said...

There is a powerful message in this poem as was your dream...your loyalty is reflected...blessings..bkm

S. Susan Deborah said...

I bet every Catholic dreams of this day when she/he meets the Pope.

Polly, have you ever met the Pope?

Joy always,
Susan

John (@bookdreamer) said...

hmmm, the mystery that is the sea take the voice of one who explains it...

Bubba said...

Intriguing imagery, Polly.

Just wondering - was the Pope shorter than you?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

Olivia said...

grateful for release of bondage.. is that same as feeling detached after losing it all?
Why am I not surprised?

You made the reader go through many dimensions.. painting an Intense image!

HUGS XOX

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails