Monday, November 16, 2009

Monday Musings-November 16



Dear Carolina Panthers,


Thank you! My daughter and I had a wonderful time. Do you think you have it in you to repeat this sweet victory Thursday night?


Your ardent fan,


Mrs. Sister


PS  I'm really sorry about Jordan Gross. He'll be sorely missed.





****************************************


Confirmation


After receiving this holy sacrament, Bethany declares, "You were right, Mommy! I feel different. I feel stronger, fortified!" She had such a beautiful glow about her as well. Afterwards, she chose Olive Garden as her restaurant destination of choice for a post Confirmation celebration. Photography was not (nor ever is) allowed during the Mass but here are a few photos taken outside of the church and at the reception afterwards.







Bethany and her sponsor Yvonne.





Bethany and her grandma!






The Sister clan at the Piazza




Bethany and a dear friend. 
Funny. They wore the same dress only in different colors.





Bethany and her sponsor with Abbot Solari, 
who substituted for an ailing Bishop Curlin. 
He did an outstanding job and the kids really enjoyed his homily.


****************************************
Shocking!


Daisy has been bad. Very, very bad. On her walks, that is. She's been tugging and pulling despite our best efforts to get her to heel. She lunges for other dogs, cats, squirrels and people. Bad, bad doggy behavior. 


Last week was the last straw. Munchie Boy was taking her for a walk. Another dog walker approached and Daisy, being the bad doggy she has been, lunged towards the other dog. She dragged Munch down across the pavement causing a minor shoulder wound and several bruises and abrasions elsewhere. Munch was hurt enough that he couldn't go to swim team practice that evening. 


It is important for the kids to be able to control the dog so Mr. Sister and I decided to order a shock collar for training purposes. It arrived Saturday. We allowed it to charge for 24 hours. We then tested it on ourselves and didn't feel anything. Was it going to work? We were hopeful. We set it at level 2, the setting where most dog trainers recommended.


Last evening was the first  try. We placed the collar on Daisy and I took her out. She immediately began to pull and tug. I said "Heel!" and hit the button...just beeps heard. No change in behavior noted. The lunging, tugging and pulling continued. Okay, I'll dial it up to 3...still nothing. 4? Nada. 5? Zip, zilch. I'm beginning to worry that maybe the collar we purchased was defective. I'll give it one more try. Level 6. This time I kept the button pushed down. Oh my goodness! The biggest, sorriest yelp came out of Daisy. I think she jumped 3 feet into the air! Oh what a bad doggy mommy! Well, let me tell you, she heeled after that! I also think I shocked the poop out of her for shortly thereafter I had to clean up the biggest doggy dump I've ever seen in my life! 


I just took her for her morning walk and guess what? She heeled. 


31 comments:

L.B. said...

Congrats to Bethany Olive Garden was a fine choice!

Woe is Daisy now that the shock collar has arrived.

Unknown said...

I neglected to add that during this morning's walk I had forgotten to turn the shock collar on. She heeled to my command and no buttons had to be pushed! One smart doggy!

Jephy's Mom said...

Poor Daisy!

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend though. Nice photos. I like that Bethany wears the team colours in her hair bands.

Unknown said...

Poor Daisy is right. She's fine, though. I do not keep the collar on her as it's only to control her behavior on walks. I can't have her hurting the kids or small animals due to her rambunctiousness. I would never have even considered a shock collar had not the Dog Whisperer, himself, used it.

Lee said...

Your daughter is beautiful. I did a shock with my dog...of course, Great Dane/St. Bernard mix, I had too...it worked, but then the guilt set in and I felt so bad for shocking her that I took it off and now I sit on her when company comes so she won't jump. She has me trained.

Life Laugh Latte said...

What a wonderful weekend. I was hoping you would say something about how the ceremony went. I had the same experience after being baptized. I didn't do it until I was an adult. Then at a family Christmas get together I asked my brother (a pastor) if he would do it there. Of course since he's my brother he told me I had to be fully immersed in our freezing cold pool! Even with that...having my whole family standing around me as we said the precious, tender words confirming my faith, it was amazing. I came out of the water feeling so loved and obedient, and somehow changed even more than when I first believed. I too can't explain it. Holly:)

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I think it's funny that you tested the shock collar on yourself first!

Pelican Joe said...

Ask 5th Sister if she ACTUALLY tested on herself? Mr. Sister was the ONLY person to actually feel a shock from the collar.

Anonymous said...

so glad the confirmation was lovely! and i can't believe you tested the collar on yourself first....i'd be terrified!

Unknown said...

Yes,PJ (aka Mr. Sister). I did test it on myself. But we were doing it wrong! LOL! When we tested it on you, the right way, you made me very afraid when you acted like you were struck by lightning!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Congratulation to Bethany...

Poor Munchie Boy it wasn't nice of Daisy to drag him like that. Been there done that...not pleasant.

Hope the collar helps.

Stop by I have something for you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Bethany! What an awesome moment!

Glad Daisy decided to Heel for you this morning!

the domestic mama said...

I may need to get my 72 year old mom that... her @#&* german sheppard ( that lives next door) IS THE MONSTER DOG! She has nipped at me and my mom CANNOT control her! I worry about my girls constantly. What make/model is it?

Pelican Joe said...

I give a link to it on my blog. PelicanRants.blogspot.com

Lissaloo said...

lol, poor Daisy dog. I love all the great pictures :)

LarryG said...

confirmation and communion to great tastes that taste great together, wait, is that slogan taken???
awesome times Polly!

Tracy said...

great pictures and it sounds like it was a wonderful weekend!

Tracie said...

What a nice looking family! I love that she said she felt "fortified".

Liz Mays said...

Congrats, Bethany! It's such a special moment!

You made me laugh when you shocked the poop out of the dog!

Holly Lefevre said...

You daughter is beautiful. Looks like you had a great weekend.

I never tried a shock collar. I did try pinch collar and then another type recommended by a trainer... it didn't work. My dog still pulls.

Holly

Raoulysgirl said...

Beautiful pics! I'm glad the day was wonderful!!!

Poor Daisy! I'll bet it was "payback poop." LOL!

I have cats, and while I'm sure they don't make tiny cat shock collars, I would be interested in checking for Miss Boo as she is a little pistol!

the domestic mama said...

YOU ARE THE COOK OF THE WEEK ON AR! YAY!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Bethany is beautiful! Congratulations to her and your family.

Now did someone say "Olive Garden"? Yum!

xo

Weezer said...

Happy Monday! I'm in Columbus taking care of things for/with my parents. (Pray for me!)
Heard about the Panthers and immediately thought of you and wondered if you had gotten to the game. Congratulations!
Bethany is a lovely young woman. I love the name!
And you crazy thing! Trying that collar on yourself. But honestly, I think I would have maybe done it on myself as well. I'll have to send you the story someone sent me recently about the man who bought his wife a Tazer for their anniversary and tried it on himself to make sure it worked.
Have a good few days. I'll be back home on Wednesday late.

Kimberly said...

Lovely post. Congrats to your daughter, and a high five for the dog. Wow! That is so brave to test the collar on yourself. A ma zing!

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

good morning! i finally got up the award you gave me many moons again and i tried to let you know yesterday that it was up, but somehow there weren't enough hours in the day! so thanks again!

and i feel your bad doggy woes!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

What a wonderful yoing woman Bethany is growing up to be, you are rightfully proud.

As for the dog, you've just reminded me why I don't want a pet!

Kathleen said...

Totally get it now! We got the shock collar for our former pooch too (you can read about it here: http://treasuredchapters.blogspot.com/2009/03/shocking-task.html). Unfortunately, that puppy still caused so much chaos around here, we had to give him away. Homeschooling creates enough havoc without added chaos!

Kathleen said...

Oh, and CONGRATS to your daughter on her confirmation. I know that was a special moment for her (and you!).

ballast photography said...

I totally missed this post until the link yesterday. I've falled woefully behind. I am so glad about Bethany's confirmation--and I hope the "shocking effects" continue with your spirited pooch. Bad dogs are not fun to walk!

Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails