Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Different Approach

To Leftover Turkey


I don't know about you but I'm not big on turkey soup or turkey tettrazini or turkey casserole, etc. I decided to try a slightly healthier dish to use up some of our Thanksgiving leftovers. I decided to use my Easy "Greek" Spinach Pie as the base recipe. 


I did not have any phyllo dough to use so my substitution was to use 2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations:



(a favorite short cut of mine and no, I am not receiving 
any reimbursement for this product endorsement)


 I used one can of Pillsbury Recipe Creations 
for the bottom of my spinach pie.
I rolled it out and placed it in a greased pie dish.  
Just before adding my filling, I baked the crust 
for approximately 8 minutes at 375 degrees






Next, after adding the filling, top with the 2nd can
of rolled Recipe Creations dough.

Using tines of a fork,
poke the crust all over to allow steam to escape.
Brush the crust with lightly beaten egg white,
reserving the yolk to fry up and serve to the dog.
(Daisy's not spoiled at all, is she!)



 Place in a 375 degree oven.
Bake until a golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.



Slice, serve and enjoy. I know we did!

22 comments:

gayle said...

I am a new follower of yours.......that looks delicious!!!

Purple Flowers said...

That looks delicious. I think I am going to try that this evening. Thanks for sharing! :)

Shell said...

I love spinach pie. Yum!

MJ said...

looks super yummy, too bad my oldest and husband would turn their nose up at it because of the spinach!
Have a wonderful day

Weezer said...

What a wonderful idea! And PILLSBURY RECIPE CREATIONS???I've never heard of or seen this stuff. Now I've got find some. You've given me some remarkable recipe ideas. You're amazing!
Another HOT SHOT thanks to you.

LarryG said...

that looks wonderful, I think I will put one of these together!

Yum Yum!
Thanks Sis5

Melissa B. said...

I've been looking for something new and different to do with the leftover turkey. I think you've hit the nail on the proverbial head. Thanks so much for sharing this! SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

She's Got Spirit...And Your Vote?

Lissaloo said...

Yummy! What a great take on T-day leftovers!
Egg yolks are like vitamins for doggies, you are just giving Daisy her vitamins ;)

Betty Manousos said...

Mmmmm, mmmmm!
You just killed me.
Great idea! i'm off to eat!
Have a great week-end!
love
hugs hugs

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Yum. I love spinach.

Anonymous said...

If you top it with peanut butter & serve it with coffee, you have my Black Friday dinner.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

That looks so delicious and inventive. I will have to try someday.

ballast photography said...

Nice to see a unique leftover option--but we're all out of turkey here :)

Sorry I have been away for a few days...I'm catching up as I have a few minutes here and there :) Thanks for stopping by at my place..always good to see you!

Heather of the EO said...

Great stuff.

Now I'm hungry :)

Multiple personalities.. said...

Stopping by from SITS...this looks yummy! I, too, love using the tubed crescent rolls as a short cut, it works with so many sweet and savory recipes. I may have to try this, it looks a great way to get my guys to actually eat spinach. Thanks for sharing! Happy Saturday sharefest!

Millennium Housewife said...

That looks amazing! BUT, I do wonder how you Americans cope with TWO turkey based celebrations in the space of a month! Crazy!
You all sound from SITS like you're having such a good time, whereas here it's just another weekend in November. I've really enjoyed joining in vicariously with your celebrations! Happy Thanksgiving, and of course Happy Eid to to anyone Muslim reading this xx

Willoughby said...

I hope you saved me a piece! After all, I did save one of those cream filled cupcakes for you!

Kathleen said...

Wow! Had no idea the Pillsbury stuff could work so well and look so bee-you-ti-ful! I'll have to try it!

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

Stopping by from SITS!

I adore spinach, and my mom always insists on making it Christmas morning in a quiche. I don't like quiche! But I love this recipe because I think I can persuade my mom to make it instead of the quiche :)

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

mommakin said...

That looks yummy!

Raoulysgirl said...

Oooooh! That looks delicious!!!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Yum-mmy! That look great. I'm making it this week FOR SURE.

Thanks,
jj

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails