Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New "Greek" Recipe

Yesterday, while at the endodontist having a root canal, I found a recipe for a Spinach and Feta Pie in a Family Circle magazine. It really looked appealing and the recipe contained several of my favorite ingredients. I knew I had to try it. I, of course, put my own spin on it. And so I present to you, for your culinary pleasure...


Easy "Greek" Spinach Pie



Ingredients:


4 boneless/skinless Chicken breasts
1 large onion
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 lbs. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

1-2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1-2 tsp. dried)
1/2 tsp. Polly's Signatue Spice Blend
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
4 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper to taste ( I used 1 tsp. Kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper)
20 sheets 9x13 phyllo dough



Directions:


Take 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Boil until no longer pink. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before shredding.


Chop 1 large onion. I have to chop mine very finely as dear son is under the silly impression that he doesn't like onion. Saute, along with garlic, in a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil until tender.

Add the shredded chicken, spinach, cheese, egg and spices. Mix well and set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare a 9x13 pan with 10 phyllo sheets, spraying each with cooking spray oil between sheets (Olive oil preferred).

Spread the spinach/chicken/feta mixture evenly over the phyllo sheets.

Top with remaining 10 sheets of phyllo, again, spraying between each sheet. Place in oven preheated to 375 degrees for 45 minutes. The top should be nicely browned.


Cut into 8 individual servings and serve. I served mine with dilled baby carrots (carrots steamed with 1/2 tsp. dill sprinkled over the top...simple and good for you!)

Calories are approximately 425 per serving.

8 comments:

Lissaloo said...

Yum :) And your pictures are WONDERFUL :)

Unknown said...

Thank you!

Raoulysgirl said...

OOOOH! This is definitely something we would like. My mom would ADORE this...and her birthday is coming up...and she hasn't decided what she wants for her dinner. I'm thinking I can work this in somehow!!! Thanks for sharing!!! It looks delicious!!!

L.B. said...

Phyllo dough scares me! That's something I didn't know existed until I got into cooking, then really didn't know what it was until recently. I've seen some really good recipes using phyllo dough (and I'm including this one as well, yum!) but I don't know... I might botch it badly!

Gracey said...

It looks yummy! I have never tried chicken and spinach pie (I have only had them separately, spinach pie and chicken pie), but this is a great idea! I will try it! LB, what scares me most is making my own phyllo dough. It is something very basic if you have been raised in a Greek village (and I have), so I ought to have been able to do it by now. However, I still don't feel brave enough to try!

Unknown said...

You can buy it, premade and in sheets, here in the states. Just unroll and separate. You can either spray with oil or slather on melted butter (as the Greeks do with their heavenly baklava) between each sheet of phyllo. How on earth do you make it from scratch Gracey? Could you blog about it or send me the recipe? I'm very curious now. You can email me at polly at 5thsister dot com.

thrasherswife said...

oh my goodness this looks soooooo good, not sure I can get my kids to eat it, but I may force them!!

Sheila said...

This looks incredible! I love spinach and I love feta and I LOVE Greek food. You make it all come together so easily.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails