Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sacred Sunday: February 28, 2010


"Old Woman at Prayer" by Nicolaes Maes
(Dutch painter, 1634-1693)
Also known as "Prayer Without End"


As part of my Lenten journey, besides giving up red wine, I enrolled in a 6 week course on Prayer. This course is part of the Why Catholic? Journey Through the Catechism series. Last week was my 1st session and, as with everything I do, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. I was pleasantly surprised. The small group I was assigned to had some very lovely people and I was pleased that the group leader was a woman I knew very well through previous Bible studies. There were some serious conversations and reflections and I walked away feeling I truly had learned something that I could apply to my prayer life.

For today's Sacred Sunday, I'd like to share with you a story, from my study guide, that helped open my eyes and heart more fully into understanding what prayer should be like. Enjoy.

A disciple has been calling on God for many years.
through prayer, fasting, and meditation.
One day she hears a voice within her ask:
"Who is there?"
"At last, at last," she thinks joyfully.
"God," she cries, "It is I. I is I"
But she is met by silence and the voice disappears.
Years pass and the woman goes on meditating
and calling on God with renewed passion.
Suddenly, without warning, she hears the voice again.
"Who is there?"
This time, without hesitation, she replies,
"Only you, only you."
And the door opens and she enters the heart of God.


I'm off to my 3rd 12 hour shift in a row so I probably will be too exhausted to reply to your comments but rest assured I appreciate them and will be looking forward to reading them when I return home from work. May God provide abundant blessings to you and your families this day and always!

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

sometimes i wonder if we give Him time to respond, we are so quick to get it over with...if we remember.

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Food for my soul!

I don't pray as often, I talk to him throughout the day!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Gorgeous painting and a great anecdote.
I have already broken my Lenten fast! I had a belly ache over the weekend and the only thing I could stomach was gingerale (soda!) Does it count if it's medicinal? Probably. I'm a sinner.

Willoughby said...

Lovely story. I'm glad you ended up enjoying your prayer class.

Jephy's Mom said...

Your post makes me feel guilty. I had to choose between watching the Gold Medal hockey game between Canada and the United States or going to my Lenten bible study. Guess which one I chose. I have a knack for getting in trouble with God. I only hope He's watching the game too.

Jackie said...

How profound and so true! Thanks for sharing it with us . I enjoyed it very much .

Unknown said...

good reminder! I feel like God has been reminding me to be a little less focused on me and a little more focused on Him!

Kimberly said...

I would love to take a prayer class.

I am going to pray the Rosary tomorrow. I have been reading a little "Meditation with Mary" book that I just love. Every morning I read a little part of it. It feeds my soul!

Betty Manousos said...

Great reminder!I love it ;and it's so true.I need to pray more often.
Betty xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails