Thursday, September 10, 2009

Highlights of My Trip: Part 2

Some Things Never Change

Conversations with my father.

I.

Dad: "What the heck did you do to your hair?"
Me: "It's 'chocolate cherry'. Do you like?"
Dad: "It's pretty dark, don't you think?"
Me: "I thought you were color blind?"
Dad: "I'm not THAT color blind!"

II.

Dad: "What's that thing?"
Me: "It's my belt."
Dad: "Well, a belt is suppose to serve a purpose...like hold up your pants!"
Me: "The purpose of this belt is as a decorative accessory."
Dad: "That makes no sense."
Me: "Enough Dad. I'm 48, not 8!"

I'm the youngest and maybe it's hard for my father to realize that I'm "grown up" now. Maybe I , too easily, revert to my role as the "baby daughter". Maybe he's envisioning his own immortality. After all, he is in his upper 80's and, besides, I was home to attend my 3oth high school reunion. That would make any parent feel old. I guess I'll cut him some slack!

Some People Never Grow Up

Friday night was an informal gathering at a local pub, a sort of "meet and greet" if you will. I was pretty nervous about attending. Would anyone remember me? Would I recognize anyone? I invited 4th Sister to come along for moral support.

When we arrived I was relieved to see so many familiar faces from the past! The women hadn't changed a bit. Yes, we were all a bit heavier, maybe had a few wrinkles here and there, but for the most part they all looked the same. The men, on the other hand were a bit more difficult to recognize. I guess receding hairlines and facial hair will do that to a guy. Thank goodness for name tags.

All in all everyone was having a great time. But, of course, something had to happen that harkened back to the days of old. Our class bombshell made her grand entrance into the bar. When she saw me she immediately shouted: "Hey there, Rolly P****!" You see, in high school I had the unfortunate circumstance that when my initials were switched my last name changed into what the part of the male anatomy that makes a man a man is called. Once the initial shock wore off, I looked at her, tilted my head to the side and simply stated, "You know, I haven't had that last name in almost 2o years. I think I've earned the right to move beyond." Oh well. I guess there's always one in the crowd.

By the way, 4th Sister had a wonderful time. She's an artist and made connections with another artist, from my graduating class, to hold an exhibit in his studio. Life is good.

5 comments:

Lissaloo said...

Yes, some people never seem to grow up. Oh well, what do ya do. I loved the conversations with your Dad, I think that being their little girl puts us in that space for life :) Mine still worries about me driving if its dark/late/snowy/rainy. I have been driving for over 15 years now I think i'm good, but I guess they will always worry about us :)

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

I feel sorry for the people that hit their peak in high school, they can never seem to grow up. I'm glad you were able to handle it so well, I think I would have had some choice words for her. As for your dad, I think you're right, you'll always be the baby. At least that means you'll always be the youngest, right? ;)

thamesarino said...

my sentiments are the same as above... I might have had a few choice words for her... but you did the best thing, of course, which was to take the higher road! Good job! and I am my Dad's little girl too... and he still tries to give me advice(which is usually not needed)... but I don't mind being his baby every once in awhile when I feel like I am getting older than I should be already!! : )

mamakeith said...

I love the way you tell stories- they are fun and entertaining to read... I don't remember the author's name but she wrote "Must Love Dogs" anyway she wrote her 1st novel on legal pads at age 45 during her daughters swim practice. Needless to say, they made a movie of it. You are a talented story teller. Have you ever thought of writing short stories?

Willoughby said...

I'm glad you had fun. I can't imagine going to my class reunion. I never stayed in touch with those people after graduation, I think it would be awkward.

I love how you handled the stupid remark!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails