Saturday, September 26, 2009

Grandma Exline's Peanut Butter Pie


I received this recipe from a childhood friend a few weeks back. I don't fancy myself a baker and this is a "no bake" pie recipe that turned out really tasty. It was a hit with Mr. Sister and the little sisters so it is definitely a keeper. With her permission, I would like to share this recipe with you.


Ingredients


2/3 cup powdered sugar

1/3 cup chunky peanut butter (I added chopped peanuts to my natural peanut butter)

9 in graham crust (I used a 10 inch deep dish crust)

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

2 cups milk

3 egg yolks, beaten

2 tablespoons peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup whipped cream

1 tablespoon sugar (omit if using ready made whipped cream)

1/2 - 1 cup chopped peanuts


Directions


Combine powdered sugar and peanut butter. Mix until "mealy". (I added a tbsp. granulated sugar to this mix). Sprinkle mixture into bottom of pie crust.


Mix 1/3 cup sugar with the flour and add a dash of salt (about 1/8 tsp). Next pour milk into a pot and stir in the sugar/flour mixture. Stirring constantly, heat over medium to medium high heat until thick.


Stir in a small amount of hot liquid into your beaten eggs to temper them, then add the eggs to your milk mixture. Continue to cook for about 2 minutes longer.


Remove milk mix from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla. Allow to cool.


When this custard mix has cooled, pour into your pie crust on top of the peanut butter/sugar layer.


Whip cream and add 1 tablespoon of sugar (I used ready made) and spread over custard layer.


Top with chopped peanuts and serve to your family's delight!


Next time I think I might try a chocolate cookie crust and drizzle a chocolate ganache over the top.
(Many thanks to Grandma Exline for passing along this recipe to her grandchildren)

6 comments:

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

That looks dangerously good!

Willoughby said...

That looks soooooo good! I haven't had peanut butter pie in ages, but now I think I will have to make one!

Lissaloo said...

Yum! We are big peanut butter fans here, this recipe will be joining my pile of to make soon recipes! :)

india flint said...

cholesterol pie..yum.
who cares about the National Heart Foundation when such things are on offer!

Unknown said...

India...too funny! That is why I don't make desserts like these too often, and when I do I only allow myself a very small portion.

mk said...

ooo, I LOVE peanut butter... this looks so good! Thanks for posting- I am glad I stayed up late to catch up on my favorite blogs now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails