Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Highlights of My Trip: Part 1

Last Tuesday my son and I headed to Kansas. My 30th high school reunion was to take place in Salina in addition to 3rd Sister hosting a wedding celebration for her daughter (who married in Poland this past summer) in Leawood (suburb of KC). My son and I were able to make it as far as St. Louis the 1st day of our road trip. Mr. Sister wielded his Priceline negotiation skills and secured, for us, an amazing room at they Hyatt Regency, Riverside. These were actual views from our room:


Unfortunately, everything was "ala carte"...no free breakfast, no free wi-fi, no free parking. The room, however, was very beautiful and quite comfortable.

Wednesday brought us all the way into Salina where we stayed at the country home of 1st Sister and her husband. What gracious hosts they were! 1st Sister made sure food was plentiful and Uncle Sister took Munchie Boy fishing (twice) and to a rodeo during our stay. He even purchased a genuine cowboy hat for Munch and let the Munchmeister buy a regulation hunting knife. Wow! What 10 year old wouldn't love that! My son idolizes Uncle Sister and wants to move to Kansas to be closer to him. He's already talking about our next trip out. I was very grateful for the opportunity to visit with 1st Sister (who has always been like a 2nd mother to me) and with 4th Sister, who drove up from Tulsa to join us for the weekend.

Thursday afternoon I met up with a couple of old friends: Leslie, who I happened to meet in the 3rd grade. She was always funny, smart and never wanted for friends. I transferred to her grammar school the year they tore down my old school. She made me feel welcome and I will always be forever grateful for that. I met my other pal, Dena, in Jr. high. We participated in "work study" programs: I worked in the library and she in the office. We ate lunch together everyday. Oh, how we had a crush on the cute boy who worked the cafeteria. In an effort to get his attention, we would spill our milk so he would have to come over and clean it up. Dena and this boy eventually started dating and have been married for almost 30 years! They have 2 handsome sons. Isn't that a neat story? Here we are having lunch at the "Stuga", a wonderful deli/bar in Lindsborg, KS, where we were able to catch up on old times and new adventures:


Coming tomorrow: Why Do Some Never Grow Up? or Stereotypes are Hard to Break!

6 comments:

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Sounds like a great start to a fun trip, can't wait for Part 2!

Tracy said...

what great fun!

Willoughby said...

Looks like a great trip! I loved the story about the boy in the cafeteria!

The last time I was in Kasas was right after the gulf war ended (we visited my BIL at Fort Riley soon after he returned from the middle east). It's a beautiful state, but I was unprepared for how hot it gets! The day we went to Worlds Of Fun the temp. hit 112!

Unknown said...

Yes! It can get quite hot! Drove past Ft. Riley and it's really built up. Apparantly they've moved 1000's of troops to the base. They day we drove by they must have been doing air training. We saw a bomber land and lots of HUGE army helicopters waiting to take off. Son was thrilled. Egads...Worlds of Fun...forgot about that place. I had some good times there.

Lissaloo said...

Looks like a great view, visiting with Sisters is one of the best things in the world :)

thamesarino said...

ooh sounds fun!
I love the cafeteria story too! I'm always a sucker for a sweet love story! : )
How fun for your son, too! Uncles can be pretty special! : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails