Thursday, March 19, 2009

The "Write" Stuff Blogging Award

Today is Award Day on The 5th Sister.

I was reflecting upon how I got started with all of this blog business. Funny thing is that I really had no intention of blogging...EVER! Gradually, I was exposed to certain blogs of interest through other networking sites I was an active participant on. All Recipe's Recipe Exchange was the most influential. That is where I discovered The Pioneer Woman, Cake Wrecks and other blogs of note being discussed by the exchange members.

During this time, I helped launch a continuing thread on the Recipe Exchange that related to a dream I had about running a race in Africa. These thread of posts detailed our virtual safari through Africa, beginning in Cairo, Egypt and ending in Johannesburg, S. Africa. Members, interested in getting fit, logged their miles that they either ran, walked, hiked, biked, stair-stepped, ellipticalled, rowed or swam. We were able to complete our trek in just 4 short months! Pounds were shed, muscles were defined and friends were made along during this virtual journey! We all had such a great time that we are now in the process of a virtual North American Tour, stretching from coast to coast with a foray into Canada to visit our Canadian friends.

I also began following a particular blog during the aforementioned trek. This on line journal was about one person's endeavor to change their lifestyle from a sedentary one of obesity and ill health to one of fitness, healthy eating and weight loss. I followed this person with great interest as they trained to fulfill one goal to the next. This person's honesty and wit made a strong impact on me and helped inspire and motivate me to do the same as well.


This person's blog gave me the impetus to take ownership over my own state of health. I have lost over 15 lbs. since last summer and can now run a mile in under 10 minutes following the training advice on their blog. Reading their blog made me consider how beneficial it might be for me to pen my own on-line journal. Maybe I, as well, would see improvements in my body, health and mind along the way. That was how my blog was born. Okay, so I have a tendency to ramble on and muse about a variety of topics, but it's a start, right?


In addition to their blog, this person was instrumental in getting both the African Safari and North American Tour exchange threads up and running smoothly...documenting miles and distance...keeping us all on track! This particular blogger was (and still is) a partner and the biggest fan of these threads. He/She busily encourages us along our journey: through funny posts and links to photos of where we are at any particular moment.


Without further ado, I am pleased to announce that the very 1st recipient of The "Write" Stuff award is Luis Bueno of The Muddy Runner.





It may not be a "pretty" award, but it is given with great respect.

You, too, may be the bearer of this award. The rules are simple:

1. Determine what ONE blog has had the most influence on you and your decision to begin your own blogging endeavors.


2. Post about this blog on your site, along with a copy of this award.


3. Let the honoree know of their award by commenting on his/her blog.


4. You may only give out this award ONCE and to only ONE recipient.




5. A particularly influential recipient, may, however, receive the award more than once.



6. The recipient is to acknowledge the award in a brief post on their blog.

4 comments:

Lissaloo said...

What a neat award :) I will have to do some thinking about this :)

L.B. said...

Polly, thank you for the kind words. I am touched and humbled really, about having had an impact on your fitness and blogging. Fifteen pounds is commendable!

I enjoy reading your blog and am glad that you have an outlet to express yourself, and you are a key part of our little blogging community :)

I'm glad to have been part of this blogging journey and our exchange journey together as well.

Willoughby said...

What a nice idea! Luis is indeed, motivational. How is the North American tour coming along? I had hoped to take part in it, but I've been feeling less than motivated, myself. Also, I haven't been on the exchange in quite a while.

Unknown said...

thank you Ruth! Those were very nice comments. I am glad you are enjoying this little glimpse into my family's daily life!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails