Friday, May 27, 2011

Flash Friday 55: A Moment at Work

Lungs failing
air hungering
eyes pleading
man struggling,
fearing

Monitors beeping
doctors barking
nurses hustling
around man struggling,
fearing

Voice soothing
gently whispering
words calming
that man struggling,
fearing

“Concentrate not
upon alarms
nor those surrounding you…
but on fact
we're here
to help you
breathe”

Hand reaching
her cheek touching…
man mouthing
“Thank you”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love my job and hope to never, ever, forget the man (woman or child) behind the struggle and the fear. A look, a touch, a gentle word or two does wonders. Now go click on the link above to participate!

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ugh...hard moments...but when you can help i am sure the reward is great...

Willoughby said...

It's wonderful that you always remember the patient. I can tell you first hand that it's scary when you're in an emergency situation an no one is telling you what's going on.

When my daughter was born, they were running down the hall with me and I had no idea what was about to happen. I didn't know if she was going to be delivered or if there was a way they could keep it from happening. When my doctor entered the room, he was the only one to speak directly to me and tell me what was going on. Everyone else talked about me, not to me.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a gentle touch, a soothing look or a hush whisper of encouragement is all that is needed to quell the fear. Thank goodness for those that are able to do it without falling apart.

Here's mine: Friday Flash 55 ~ Doing Time

G-Man said...

Pollyanna...
Please don't take this the wrong way but...
This is My Favorite thing that you have ever entered.
What a sweet little poem/55.
You Are a such a compassionate Angel on Earth.
Thanks again Polly, You Fricken ROCK The Galaxy!!!
Have a Kick Ass Holiday...Galen

Monkey Man said...

Wow. Quite a moment.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

a story told in a poem,
love the happy ending sound.
cheers.

you rocked on this one.
well done,

Christine said...

The first part of this really brought me flashbacks of my Father gasping for air. He never did get it, too much cancer in the way. This really moved me, to tears.

Mike said...

That made me tear up remembering my Grandfather dying from lung cancer.

Jenny said...

Powerful. I. am. speechless. Or would that be wordless? Wow!

gautami tripathy said...

This is so touching. And Reinforces my faith in humanity...

jingling chains

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails