Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Artist Within

My profile states that I am an artist "wannabe". Ever since I can remember I was always drawing or creating but I never considered myself to be very good at it. I also have 3 older sisters who are phenomenal artists in their own right and I always felt whatever I created paled by comparison. I have decided to share with you some of the art I have produced which is in my home.

A few years after my husband and I were married I decided to take some pottery classes. I really enjoyed these classes. In fact, I ended up renting studio space for the summer and produced the following works:



The "infamous" fertility pot. Shortly after making this I became pregnant for the 1st time! In fact, I became pregnant on 5 separate occasions. Sadly, only 2 came to fruition. I miscarried the other 3. I like to say I now have 3 saints in heaven praying for us.







I went from there to a study of the "female form" and this is what I came up with.







After which, I went totally abstract. This work I call "Metamorphosis". It is suppose to be a representation of the new, emerging woman I was becoming: Child of God, wife and mother. A whole new chapter of my life was beginning. My conversion to the Catholic faith occurred during this time.







And here is a collection of serving bowls that I made and still use to this day.







A detail of my "Rooster Bowl" (upper right in above photo).





One of my favorites. I use this as a decorative way to store my tea bags.

After having kids, it became difficult to continue with pottery as it required a big block of time to be able to produce any type of work. Clean up was also a lengthy process. At this time I ventured into "fabric art". I began making 1st Communion banners for the kids at church and dabbled into some abstract fabric pieces to display in my home. This piece is called "The 'Wining' Women of Willingdon". It is based on myself and 2 friends who would get together a few times per month (at alternating homes) with our kids. We would drink wine and "whine". We would also create wonderful food. We, along with the kids, always had a great time. I sure miss them. One, who was on the same level as me spiritually, moved away due to her husband's job transfer. She is represented on the far left. And, yes, she really wore lots of animal print. The other thought I became "too Catholic" when I started homeschooling. So sad. She's the one in the middle. That leaves li'l ol' petite me on the right.





Well since I'm "too Catholic" I'll just have to go ahead and show you a sketch I did of Jesus, based upon the image on the Shroud of Turin.







And Heaven forbid if the kids ever went trick or treating on Halloween without a homemade, designed from scratch, costume!







(That's an emu, on the right, by the way)

Finally, a few years back I decided to take an oil painting class from a neighbor and friend. This is a detail of the very 1st painting I have ever done. It is based on a photo of my kids in the Kansas prairie behind my sister's country home.



I went from there to produce an "Ode to Cezanne". Heck, I was pleased that I painted anything resembling trees, walls and homes!




Then there's my daughter's favorite. I painted this, for her, to commemorate the passing of our beloved feline, Phoebe. It really looks just like her and I was very pleased with the outcome.







Unfortunately, oil painting is also a long, drawn out process. It takes a very long time to "cure" and clean up is, unfortunately, messy, toxic and time consuming. I think I might try acrylics next.

I enjoyed sharing these with all of you. I do realize these works are amateurish, but they come from the heart and from the soul. I firmly believe we all have God given talents. I pray that you will all be able to tap into "artist within".

8 comments:

Raoulysgirl said...

Polly, these are WONDERFUL! I think my favorite is the "Metamorphosis"...it is beautiful...and a touching representation of what you described it to be! Good work!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you dear friend! I appreciate your comments. Art is so personal and I am thankful that someone else, out there, "gets it".

L.B. said...

Check out Miss Creative over there! Nice stuff.

Gracey said...

They are amazing, 5th! I think my favourite is the pot in which you store the tea bags.

Willoughby said...

Polly, all of your artwork is beautiful. I don't draw or paint very well myself, but I do love working with pottery. I never made pieces as nice as yours, but it was always fun. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I should post photos of the pitiful pottery that I started out making! They are good for a laugh or two. Thanks again for your nice comments.

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

It's beautiful! And if you ever need art materials advice, let me know, I ran an art supply store for over 6 years. Keep it up!

thamesarino said...

wow! thank you for sharing these works on your blog. you are an artist. I love discovering new ways to express myself as well, although having small kids makes it MUCH harder! : )
keep it up they look great... I love the pottery, but I really liked the fabric art of you and your friends!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails