Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rainbow Summer School: Violet

I am participating in Ms. Jenny's Rainbow Summer School, where we study the colors of the rainbow. This week's study is color violet. This one was difficult for me for there were so many directions in which one could go: fruit, wine, flora, etc. I chose to use this color as an endnote to the wonderful Rainbow Summer School led by our dear Ms. Jenny. I thank you for taking the time to read my effort.

Jenny Matlock

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little Miss Violet (sensitive, shy, seriously sweet)
Took her place along the back row, in the final seat.

She spies her comrades of color, all ahead of her
Nervous about her essay, wishing she could defer.

There’s Sir Red, so commanding, boisterous, completely proud:
He sat up in front and drew the large crowds.

Next came Madam Orange, full of warmth and happiness,
Basking in the glow of her own awesomeness.

In the third row sat Old Yellow, the original ‘fraidy cat,
Shivering, shaking...hiding beneath a humongous hat.

Next in queue? Why Ms. Green, in all her splendorous girth,
Communing with Mother Nature on matters concerning earth.

Poor dear Blue, diminutive, devoted, yet depressed for sure
Sat praying for healing and wholeness, waiting for a cure.

Followed by Prince Indigo, regal is how he feels,
Ruling the royal land on his side of the color wheel.

Miss Violet looked on, filled with trepidation and awe,
Concerned how she would compare with the wonder of them all.

“Ahem, Ms. Jenny, I believe it’s my turn now.
I’d like to get this over with if time would allow.

My color is often called purple, mulberry or plum,
I’m also known as pomegranate or cabernet to some.

I’m fruity in taste and pleasing to the eye,
And in my “crystal stage” I am a scientific dye.

I am the color of Advent and of the Lenten season, too.
I symbolize preparation and penance for those sitting in the pew.

In the psychic realm of the paranormal types
I am the color of their auras, or so it is hyped.

In Hinduism I’m the seventh chakra, the crown to be exact
Where spirituality and intuitive knowing are said to interact.

So you see Ms. Jenny, and to those that came before,
Yes, I am a color, but I am also so much more.”

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! Such a great creative way to end our rainbow summer school!

Teresa

Brian Miller said...

ah i love that last line...so much more indeed...a wonderful write too polly..

Tina said...

Sigh. Bliss. Such a wonderful end to the rainbow. Nice job, Polly.

Cheryl said...

This meandered so nicely around all the colors until it was time for violet to shine. Beautifully done.

Betty said...

What a good idea...having all the colors in the classroom. Very creative.

Anonymous said...

I love the last line, yes I am a color, but so much more...just like a color with many depths and hues a person has so many layers...well done my friend

Unknown said...

What a great way to sum up all that was covered in Summer School. You have such a way with words. Brilliant!

S. Susan Deborah said...

I bet Ms. Jenny would be glad to see this work of yours. Lovely, I say! When colour says "Yes, I am a color, but I am also so much more," imagine us!! We are blessed indeed.

Joy always,
Susan

Susan Anderson said...

Great job. Loved it!

=)

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

PJ - Another excellent job! Violet reigns supreme, but I must admit a fondness for Blue - especially the way you described it!!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Very clever! I enjoy your rhyming verses a lot.

Nessa said...

I love the way you personified the colors. And I will never look at violet the same way again. I'll pay more attention.

Terra said...

very cool post and I love what Purple represented. This is my favorite stop thus far...

RNSANE said...

Very well done. I, also, ended our Rainbow Colors with a poetic contribution. Violet is one of my favorite colors though I prefer darker shades.

At 65, I've done it! My poetry book - Life's Journey by Carmen Henesy - is out on Amazon!
( Poems about the things that have been important to me in my journey through life, some humorous, some sad, some that may have meaning to you as well )
http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Journey-1-Carmen-Henesy/dp/1451547366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274652997&sr=1-1
( Check out my Amazon site to read reviews of my book by others! ).

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Wonderful poem, and a great way to sum up the colors of rainbow..

Betty Manousos said...

What an innovative and remarkable piece!
What a great start to the day!

B xx

Short and Sweet said...

Beautifully done! You have such a wonderful way of using words so expressively. Genius!

NatureGirl said...

Wonderful! Drop by my place ANYtime for some purple soup...

paige said...

Oh how wonderful! I love this!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Polly your writing is sublime! This was such and imaginative and descriptive poem and it was a joy to read!

Lourie said...

Very impressive! I really enjoyed your post for violet.

Mary said...

So clever~ I thoroughly enjoyed that! That was a wonderful ending to Rainbow Summer School :-)

signed...bkm said...

this is so cute and you covered it all - miss violet has a lot to offer us in life...blessings..bkm

Pondside said...

Well done! Miss Violet is a gal with lots to offer.

jeff campbell said...

Wonderful job wrapping up our summer school...you take the cake with your poetry...Peace and blessings

jeff campbell said...

Wonderful job wrapping up our summer school...you take the cake with your poetry...Peace and blessings

Jenny said...

Polly.

This is really neat.

Wow.

I hardly know what to say. I am seriously amazed by this writing. It is wonderful. I'm thinking if you could "child" it down just a bit it could be an amazing childrens book.

But as it's written it is a wonderful poem for us all.

Thank you Polly.

You humble me with your writing. You make me work harder to improve my craft.

You are amazing.

A+

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails