Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How I Spent Valentine's Day...

You all know that the Democratic National Convention is coming to Charlotte, right? No matter your politics this is a BIG deal.

For several years I have been on the hospital's Decontamination Committee. We've been meeting and training, using government guidelines and standards, on how best to respond to those exposed to chemical or biological agents upon their arrival to the hospital.

We've been asked, along with other area hospitals and agencies (such as medic, fire, police) to be available to staff the event. Of course, this involves ramped up training. Yesterday, we learned how to don our gear and actually hold a mock event involving decontamination of a volunteer. It was fascinating. Here are a few photos from the training session.




Duct tape is used to seal the seams of the suit, seal the suit to the gloves and boots, and, in my case, to make the size 4X suit fit to my petite frame. 

But what's a training session without a little silliness? I wouldn't know...so let the silliness ensue!

6 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

What an important job! I know I would feel better knowing that people like you are out there, ready and prepared for just about anything! Even an impromptu wedding reception!

Cap'n Salty said...

While I admire the seriousness and the necessity to prepare for the possible problems, I love that your sense of humor shines through.


Why do those boots make me think of Ronald McDonald?

Brian Miller said...

i def think you should add that to your regular wardrobe...fashionable...hahaha...just kidding...pretty cool to get to do this...

Susan Anderson said...

Really interesting stuff.

And the dance? Magnificent.

;)

Jenny said...

Gosh, I never knew you were a professional dancer! You're really good! Cute! Thanks for the smile!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Love the Chicken Dance.
xoxo jj

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails