My friend Nicole, from Tattoos and Teething Rings has been wanting to host a writing prompt for all of us to share in. She plunged in feet first and gave us 2 interesting topics to choose from:
How I met my spouse
My worst 1st date
Since I have already told the amusing tale of how Mr. Sister and I got together (go HERE if you haven't read it), I will give you snippets of some of the more memorable crappy 1st dates I have experienced. Seeing how I didn't find Mr. Sister until my late 20's I have a plethora of examples to choose from. I will choose 5 to share.
1. The blind date who lifted up his shirt and patted his belly after EVERY SINGLE TIME he took a bite of dinner. I found out, during the entree course, that he was (EGADS!) a male stripper! I never, ever spoke again to the friend that set us up.
2. Leisure Suit Larry and the pool hall. I really don't want to say anymore. It was painful. "Shudder".
3. Another blind date...we met for dinner at a very fancy restaurant on the Country Club Plaza in KC. I was taken aback when he walked up and introduced himself to me. He was much, much shorter than me and I am 5'2". I thought to myself...poor guy, I'll give him a chance. He proceeded to be the biggest jerk I have ever met...mean to the wait staff, crude, rude and just plain nasty and ill tempered. I deduced he was suffering from "short man syndrome"...you know the type, trying to make up for the lack of stature with their perverted view of machismo. I was appalled and let him know it. I was even more appalled that he had the nerve to ask me out on a 2nd date! I got up and left. Thank God I drove myself to the restaurant!
4. Technically not a 1st date but a 2nd (but it is too crappy/creepy not to share) was the man who thought going to a porn flick was a great idea. Uh, no thank you, and take me home right now, please!!!
5. This next one is not a "worst" 1st date, just an odd one: I was a student at the University of Kansas Medical Center. It was my junior year I had a dorm room on the medical campus...just a bedroom and bath. Kitchen facilities were in the basement of the student union so I went down there to prepare a snack/dinner. I met a cute doctor who was a resident at the time at the medical center. We met while I was heating up my bagel for dinner. I told him how, although I was a student in the Respiratory Therapy program, I had worked in the field for approximately 4 years already. He asked where I currently worked and I told him....Menorah Medical Center (a local Jewish hospital). He then asked me out on a date. I agreed. We went to a grill for dinner and then took in the local jazz scene. He was pretty nice, telling me all about his family and how I should meet them someday. We were having a great time until...he asked THE question. What question was that? He asked what synagogue I went to. I looked at him blankly and said, "I'm not Jewish". He then quickly paid the tab, murmured his apologies saying he was looking for a "good Jewish girl". Apparently I gave the initial impression of fitting that image. Oh well. At least he had the courtesy to take this gentile girl back to her home.
There you have it...some pretty bad dates, huh? If you would like to read more stories, please visit Mr. McLinky over at Tattoos and Teething Rings today!