Friday, May 15, 2009

What's for Dinner?

I had no idea! By the time we got home from swimming last night the time was tight to prepare a healthy and edible meal. Fortunately, I had the hindsight to have set out a package of ground turkey to defrost.

My cupboards are currently fairly bare but my freezer is adequately stocked. Oh, and I found this little goody in my fridge. How will I use this? Well, I have an idea...just be patient.

First, I chopped up some carrots and pulled out some frozen green beans and lima beans. I then placed these veggies into a pot to steam boil until just tender.


Meanwhile, in an oven proof skillet, I sauteed some chopped onion and garlic, added the ground turkey to brown and seasoned with salt, pepper and some fresh herbs from my garden. I used my "Simon and Garfunkle blend": Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.

Next, I added a can of drained, chopped tomatoes followed by the 2 cups of veggies, previously steamed.

Now here is where the Pillsbury "Recipe Creations" comes in. I "popped" open the can and removed the dough. I rolled the dough thin and sliced it into strips. I then placed these strips across the top of the meat/veggie mix. After which I added a couple of pinches of fresh parsley and Polly's Signature Spice Blend to the top. I then placed the pan into a 375 degree oven to cook for approximately 15 minutes.

When the dough turned golden brown, I removed the skillet from the oven and allowed the dish to rest for 5 minutes before serving. And voila:
Polly's Impromptu Pot Pie!
My family, as well as I, really enjoyed this one dish meal. Give it a try...it's pretty tasty. If you use ground beef instead of turkey I would suggest draining the meat mix prior to adding the tomatoes and veggies.
This dish lends itself to interpretation...heck, I can picture various versions already: spinach, tomatoes, onions, kalamata olives, oregano and feta for a Greek version...corn, peppers, onion, cayenne and cumin for a Mexican twist...or even cabbage/sour kraut, sausage, potatoes and paprika or caraway for an Eastern European flare. The skies the limit. Have fun with it but be sure to share your own unique creation!

4 comments:

Lissaloo said...

Wow, you are good!! It looks & sounds wonderful! :)

Willoughby said...

Great idea! I can't believe that was a last minute creation, it looks like you slaved over it all day!

Unknown said...

Nope! 40 minutes from start to finish!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Mmmmmm...pot pie :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails