Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Completed Deck and Garden Update

I just realized that I never posted a completed deck/screen porch photo! I still have a few things that need to be finished (staining the door which was only recently installed, stain a few panels that needed replacing due to warping and cleaning/clearing up the corner where the hoses are presently parked.) All in all we are quite pleased.

News flash: The garden is growing! That's saying a lot since, other than herbs in containers, we have never gardened before. The tomato plants have little flowering buds on them. The corn is coming up quite nicely and the carrots have started to make their presence known. I don't think the cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon and honey dew will fare well but I could be wrong. Should I be "staking" them, too, I wonder? We will have an overabundance of peppers I do believe (3 each of green, yellow, red, jalapeno and banana). Mr. Sister added the "fence" to keep critters at bay. So far so good!

To my followers who also happen to be gardeners, any and all advice is welcome by this novice!

6 comments:

Katie said...

I am so jealous of your deck, we have a Florida Room on the back of our house but it's pretty much become the dog area so we don't get to use it like I would prefer. We also have a garden going this year, tomatoes, pumpkin, and peppers are in. We are going this weekend to rent a tiller to get the "big" garden going with corn, squash, watermelon, and a few other things. No suggestions other than keep everything well watered. My hubby informed me the tomatoes and watermelon are mainly water so they take a lot. We also throw horse poopy around everything for fertilization, of course ours is handy since my Mom has horses, might be a tad bit more difficult for you...lol. Here's hoping your garden does well. We will have to share pictures during the growing season so we can see each other's progress.

Lissaloo said...

I love all the plants on your steps, Gorgeous! The garden looks wonderful too, I can't wait till next year when I can start some plants!

thrasherswife said...

its beautiful - very jealous, your deck is about the size of our entire backyard. Not much land comes with our California houses!!! Looks like a perfect place to be!

L.B. said...

Polly, that looks so awesome! I'm envious! That would be a great place to spend time with the family or alone. Looks really, really good. Congrats.

Unknown said...

Thanks guys. We've lived in this house for almost 11 years and, outside of painting, this is the 1st major "project" we've done. The deck gets lots of use. I love taking my laptop and a cup of tea out there every morning. The song birds are in full voice then. I would love to remodel the interior but in this uncertain economy it isn't feasible.

thamesarino said...

wow! your space looks great! how great is it to go out and see your plants growing? I know it just melts my stress away! : )
I can't wait to see what recipes you come up with to use your fresh produce!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails