Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Shrimp Tortilla Pizza for One (or Two)


I recently came up with a recipe based on a "Chef for a Day" challenge over in "The Refugees" group at Group Recipes. The challenge was simple: people suggested random ingredients until 10 ingredients total were listed. Then we were to come up with a unique recipe using the 10 ingredients suggested. The ingredients for this recipe were: tortilla, shrimp, cheese, white rice, black beans, Spanish olives, fruit, red pepper, red onion and sour cream. For my fruit, I chose mango as I had an over-ripe one handy in my fruit bowl. Fortunately, we could add any combination of spices, herbs and seasonings that we wished. The following was my effort.

INGREDIENTS
Base:
1 10-12" tortilla

Marinade:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon lime juice
a pinch of Kosher salt and a few grinds for fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro

6 medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup sliced red onion

Bean Layer:
1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of Kosher salt and a few grinds of fresh ground black pepper

Rice Layer:
1/3 cup leftover white rice
2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons finely chopped Spanish olives, pimento included
1/4 teaspoon Polly's Signature Spice Blend
1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro

Red pepper slices
1/4 cup finely diced mango

DIRECTIONS

Blend ingredients for marinade.
Add the shrimp and onion, toss to coat and set aside.
Meanwhile, place the ingredients for the bean layer in a food processer or blender and process until well blended.
Spread bean mixture onto tortilla.
Gently mix all the ingredients for the rice layer and spread on top of the bean layer.
Add the marinaded shrimp and onion.
Top with red pepper slices and mango.
Drizzle with the remaining marinade.
Bake in preheated 425 oven for 8-10 minutes.
Turn oven to broil and continue cooking for an additional 3-5 minutes, until bubbly.
Garnish with sprig of fresh cilantro and serve.
Enjoy!

A spicy and satisfying meal! I hope, if you try this, you'll let me know what you think!

4 comments:

thamesarino said...

sounds really interesting! I don't have all the ingredients.. but when I make it I'll let you know! : )
thanks for sharing!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

It looks really good; kind of a tropical tostada. How was it?

Unknown said...

Considering the challenge, I was really pleasantly surprised. My daughter was even impressed and she is not a fan of black beans. I was pleased with the balance of flavors and textures.

Raoulysgirl said...

Sounds very different and possibly tasty...I would have to leave out the mango...not a fan. Otherwise, it will be one that my whole family would enjoy!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails