Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Root Canal Update

Well over the past several weeks I have been experiencing agonizing mouth pain. When it began, the pain was along my upper gum line. I was suffering from the flu, at that time, and thought I had the beginnings of a sinus infection. When the pain began to migrate to my left jaw I knew I was dealing with something else entirely and made a call to my dentist. My symptoms (throbbing pain that came and went, pain when I ate or drank, etc...) were indicative of the need for a root canal. I was referred to an endodontist. I had to wait a couple of weeks for the 1st available appointment. During that time I kept recollecting all of the root canal horror stories I've heard during my lifetime. I am not a fan of going to the dentist to begin with (I was the kid they had to tranquilize because I was so terrified!) so the waiting was filled with anxiety, angst and trepidation. I don't know about others, but the appointment was practically PAIN FREE! The only pain I felt was the initial sting of the novacaine going into the roof of my mouth. I'm still feeling the effects of the novacaine, although the numbing is beginning to wear off. I'm now embarrassed that I was such a wimp.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I am so glad to hear it went smoothly. There is absolutely nothing wrong about being wimp or having anxiety, I am proud to be a wimp!! :)

Willoughby said...

I'll bet you're glad it's over even if it was painless!

Lissaloo said...

I think that Dentist now days are completely different than they were even 15 years ago, I HATED going to the dentist, bawlingly terrified of going to the Dentist. My Kiddos LOVE it they can't wait to go, they beg me to take them to the Dentist. Something has definitely changed :) I'm glad all went well :)

Raoulysgirl said...

Glad you're better! I'm a fan of the gas...works like a charm with me...totally cures my anxiety! Hope you are better soon!!!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Glad to hear it went well. I had one done about 5 years ago, and people kept telling me how awful and painful it was going to be, but it was fine. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Jesse said...

The dentists are "cooler" now, Lissaloo. Aside from having better dental practices, they're also easier to talk to. A fear of the dentist doesn't help our teeth, after all.

-Jesse Hake

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails