Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Easy Green Egg Scramble for One


Yesterday I was wanting something a little heartier for breakfast other than fresh fruit or a fruit smoothie. (I have "given up" sugar and foods containing processed sugar, for the past week or so. This means no boxed cereal for breakfast. ) I had some leftover steamed collard greens with onions in the fridge. I also had a package of turkey bacon and some eggs too. This is what I came up with:
Ingredients:

1/2 - 3/4 cup steamed greens (collard, spinach, turnip, whatever)
1 tbsp. of minced onion
2 slices of pre-cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
1 egg, slightly beaten
Assorted seasonings to taste: Salt, pepper, cayenne or crushed red pepper.
Cooking Spray

Directions:

Heat a pan, that has been sprayed with cooking spray to med/med-high heat.
Saute 1 tbsp. onion until just tender (I already had onion in my leftover collard greens)
Toss in greens, bacon and seasonings until heated through.
Add egg and stir until egg is cooked thoroughly.
Remove from heat and serve!

As written above, the total calorie count for this breakfast is 160-170

For the more adventurous, a splash or two of Tobasco will, as Emeril so eloquently puts it: "Kick it up a notch!"

Variations would include adding 1/2 to 1 ounce of your favorite cheese during the scramble, or sauteeing a clove of minced garlic with the onion. Mmmmmm. I may just have to do that next time.

Enjoy this simple little recipe of mine!

You know something? This recipe reminds me of the wonderful Callaloo I had in Jamaica last summer.

4 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Just stumbled upon you through Willoughby. Nice to meet u. These eggs look delicious!! LOVE the title.

Willoughby said...

I can't believe that's only one egg, it looks like a hearty sized serving. What a great idea!

Unknown said...

Yep. One egg! And welcome to my blog, Donna! I blog about random things: my faith, food, remodeling projects, home schooling, fitness, etc... You just never know what I'm going to write about. Hope you come back and visit from time to time.

Gracey said...

It does look hearty and delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails