Monday, March 23, 2009

Beach Bummed!

It's always a bit of a letdown to return from a great weekend getaway! We had a wonderful time.
We arrived at Ocean Isle Beach on Friday afternoon. We spent the majority of the afternoon hiking along the beach, collecting shells and just enjoying the soothing sounds of the ocean. Since it is not "beach season" we pretty much had the beach to ourselves.

It was quite chilly and windy that afternoon. That didn't faze our son who decided to brave the water and test it out. By the look on his face I'd say the water was a tad too cold.


What do you think?

Daughter struck a perfect model pose. Notice the breeze catching her hair just right.

Did I say we had the beach to ourselves? I lied.


My husband and I can be such big goofs...

No more wondering where the kids get it from.

After this the boys left us and daughter and I decided to hike to the pier. We got in a good 4.5 miles! I ended up calling hubby to pick us up. Here is a video taken after the hike.



The house we stayed in was just 2 blocks from the beach. It was also 2 blocks from the Intercoastal Waterway.

The next day we decided to drive down to the Grand Strand (Myrtle Beach area) and do some "touristy" things. We ended up at Broadway on the Beach.


Here we are with some obligatory poses:



Wherever we went, our "friends" were sure to follow!




Did I mention that the water was cold? It turned these poor souls to stone!




We spent the rest of the afternoon at Ripley's Believe it or Not Aquarium.
It was better than expected. We all had a great time.
We spent about an hour playing with the stingrays. They were quite friendly.




What are you looking at? You looking at me?


Yeah, well, I'm looking at you!



I said...I'M LOOKING AT YOU!




Oooh...look carefully now...can you spot the seahorse?



Oh goody! A petting zoo of sorts with horseshoe crabs! Did you know that horseshoe crabs are more closely related to spiders and are not really crabs at all? I didn't either.

And now, for your viewing pleasure.


Did I mention that we can be goofy? Well, what would you do
stuck inside a giant clam shell?

We went back to the beach house after our day trip to Myrtle Beach. The boys decided to go fishing and this is what they came back with to serve with dinner.




The weekend was way too short.
We wish we could have stayed for the whole week.
It really was that much fun!

Uh oh. What's this?
Looks like son came home with a pet souvenier.
Does anyone know how to care for a hermit crab? Egads!

8 comments:

Raoulysgirl said...

The next time you decide to go, will you adopt me for the weekend so I can tag along???? Pretty please!?!?!?!?

Sounds like a great time was had by all!

As for the hermit crabs, my neice used to have like four or something. I think they are fairly easy to care for as long as you always have a shell that is "a size larger" for them to move into! They like to grow a lot, I guess!

Willoughby said...

I'm so glad you had a good time (and a little envious that I couldn't go!). We have been going to OIB for 6 years or so, and it's always beautiful. We've never been there during peak season, but I've checked out the local beachcam and the beach isn't even crowded on the 4th of July.

And shopping in Myrtle Beach? Now you're really rubbing it in! I love Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot Landing. The last time we were there, a crocodile had wandered out of the water and into the parking lot!

Unknown said...

Now, that would have been exciting! Last time I saw an alligator strolling around was when we went camping on Hunting Island, SC. Fortunately, the only alligators we saw were at the aquarium. You know, we should organize a beach weekend for bloggers. Wouldn't that be fun?

Willoughby said...

Oops, you're right, it was probably an alligator! I kept thinking it might take a bite out of someone's foot as they were getting in their car. A blogger weekend? What an awesome idea! Families, too, of course. Our kids would have a blast together!

Deborah L. Sykes said...

Oh Polly! AWESOME Photos! and the video of the sharks were fantastic! I wish I was there toooooo! Darn...you get all the good stuff! ;)

thamesarino said...

beautiful pictures... it looks like you guys had a blast!!
I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves!! that's when the beach is the best...when you are not swarmed by other people...I'll take chilly over crowded anyday! : )
glad you're back, and thanks for sharing your beautiful shots!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

That looks like such a fun family weekend! I think those weekend getaways are the best family trips.

Gracey said...

It looks like you had so much fun! It's so nice you spent a weekend together, enjoying yourselves. Thanks for the pictures, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails